Wednesday, February 3, 2010

*January Totals*

Wow...I did NOT do too well on my budget this month! BUT, in all fairness, one of the things that sent me over was that I stocked up on my husband's Jergens lotion that he likes (it's the only kind he'll use) which, at $2 a bottle is NOT a super great price for lotion in general, but a SUPER great price for this brand. I've never seen it cheaper in the year I've been couponing. That really put a dent in the budget, but it was WORTH it to me because I'd previously having to buy them at full-price. I also spent a bit out-of-pocket for items with rebates. I sent out for $49.00 worth! So, even though I don't count those in my totals until I actually receive the check, I still like to keep that in mind as to why my totals are so high.

Before I give my breakdown, I like to point out the things that ARE and ARE NOT included in my totals.

Things that ARE included in my totals:
*Food (not including dining out)
*Diapers (for two kids)
*Formula (I breast feed, but supplement with formula)
*ALL cleaning supplies (air fresheners, household cleaners, laundry items, etc.)
*Toiletries (hair products, deodorant, feminine products, paper products, etc)
*Make-up/Cosmetics
*Medicine & health related items (non-prescription)
*Office Supplies (including school supplies)

Items NOT included in my totals:
*Any of the above items that are purchased with the sole intent of being a gift
*Clothing
*Dining out
*Prescription Meds
*Toys



For the month of January I budgeted myself $279.50, which breaks down to $65/week. ($65 x 4.3 weeks). $279.50 for a month may seem like a lot, but when you break it down by week ($65/week) you realize how little it really is. You also have to remember that on $65/week I support a family of FIVE, including two in diapers and 1 on supplemental formula! Plus that accounts for EVERYTHING I buy to keep my house running, including even MAKEUP!

Here is my breakdown for January:

:Week 1:
Total the items SHOULD have cost me: $329.71
Total out-of-pocket (OOP) I actually paid: $129.92
Total saved: $199.79 or 61%

:Week 2:
Total the items SHOULD have cost: $369.37
Total OOP: $107.83
Total saved: $261.54 or 71%

:Week 3:
Total the items SHOULD have cost: $584.27
Total OOP: $135.64 (this is the week I stocked up on lotion)
Total saved: $448.63 or 77% (at least my percentage of savings was high)

:Week 4: (plus the extra three days of the month)
Total the items SHOULD have cost: $266.70
Total OOP: $38.10, but I also spent $4 on coupons from Ebay, so $42.10
Total saved: $224.60 or 84%!

:Month end totals:
Total everything SHOULD have cost me: $1511.95

Total I actually paid: $411.49. Wow...I actually went $131.99 over budget! :( Again, I do have $49 worth of rebates I sent out for, so that offsets it a little bit. Plus, you have to take into account that everything I bought SHOULD have cost me $1511.95! I also still have $45 in Walgreens RRs, also.

Total saved: $1100.46 or 73%.

I did save a ton, however, am still a bit disappointed about going over budget. I have been lowering my budget every month until I reach my goal of $215/mo ($50/wk), but I guess I need to give myself another month at $279.50. I want to make sure that I have that down before I take the next step. Hopefully I'll do MUCH better in February....:)

What's the secret to saving so much money? The secret is...it's NO secret! If you're ready to start saving your family 50%-90% on your grocery bill, click HERE to get started! I'll show you how! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! :)