Monday, June 8, 2009

Stockpiling

I mentioned, previously, that "stockpiling" your groceries is part of what makes this system work. This way you are able to take better advantage of great prices. I will say that with all of my reading around and learning everything I can, there are a couple of "must-reads" out there.

Here is a link to PYP's article "(How to avoid) Three Stupid Stockpiling Mistakes." I wish I would have read this before I started. Lol.

Another is a link to StillTasty.com that provides EXCELLENT information about food storage...what can/can't be successfully frozen, how to best store certain foods, and a TON of other great info. I wish I would have read this BEFORE I went and only bought 2 gallons of milk for the great price of $1.69. I would have bought more and just frozen it! Any way...take a look! Great tips!

You'll also start running into the problem of WHERE to put everything! I ran into this problem very quickly, as my pantry is very small to begin with. The food started taking over the art closet and the laundry room, and the cosmetics/toiletries/etc. started taking over our bedroom closet. Lol. I have been searching around online for a great page/article about great ideas to make the most of your storage space, but haven't really come up with anything very useful. Just a couple of random tips I've picked up along the way that maybe you hadn't thought of...

*Under-bed rubber-maid storage bins
*Empty all those boxes of fruit snacks/oatmeal packets/etc into one basket/container/tin/etc. as to eliminate the room all those boxes take up.
*Using those plastic shoe racks that hang over a closet door to store stuff such as seasoning packets, snacks, etc.

I would love to hear any of your tips about food storage, especially in small spaces. Leave a comment on this post and share your ideas!

And taking advantage of great prices isn't the only benefit of stockpiling and generating a food storage. It is also great to be able to go into your food storage and come up with a meal for your family at the drop of a hat. Always so many options and a lot less of the last-minute-running-to-the-store because you almost always have what you need! For my post about how and why I plan my families weekly menu to save even MORE money, click HERE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! :)