Friday, November 13, 2009

Weekly Menu Plan

I have a birthday dinner to make this week, but then get out of making dinner on Saturday, as my son is having his bday party at Pojo's. :) My focus is using up some of the stuff in my pantry that is about to expire. Mainly some italian dressing and potatoes. I also want to use up some of my stock of boneless country-style ribs. I am still unsure of whether I will do any shopping at Albertson's this week...there is just not much that catches my eye. Although, of COURSE I'll be heading there for the pie and ice cream deal (click HERE for details)

For more on how and why I plan my weekly meals (which saves my family even more money each week), click HERE to read a previous post.

:BREAKFASTS:

Cereal w/ milk
Bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits, OJ
Dino-egg oatmeal, toast, milk
Toaster Strudel, banana, milk
Egg & cheese tortillas, OJ
Bagel w/ cream cheese and jelly, yogurt, apple juice
Breakfast Hot-Pockets, orange slices, milk

:LUNCHES:

Leftover Spaghetti (from the birthday meal that my son chose, as that is his fave)
Totinos pizza rolls, fruit cocktail
Soup & sandwiches
Pigs-in-a-blanket, tator tots
Michellina Budget meals ($.50 last week), mixed veggies
Meat, cheese, & crackers, fresh veggies w/ ranch dip, grapes.
Chef Boyardee cups, green beans

:SNACKS:

Apples w/ peanut butter
Fruit snacks
Cheese stick and Goldfish crackers
Jello (w/ fruit cocktail in it)
Chex Mix
Granola bar
Cream cheese tortilla wraps - These are so simple and my kids love them. Just spread a layer of cream cheese on a tortilla, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon to your liking, roll them up and eat them!

:DINNERS::

Pizza at Pojo's at my son's bday party
Bacon Cheddar burgers with :Parmesan Potato Wedges:. My family absolutely LOVES these potato wedges and I love how easy they are!
Prep: 25 minutes
Bake: 30 minutes
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients:
6 medium baking potatoes (about 2 lbs)
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp italian seasoning, crushed
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (these do stick really bad, so you really do need the parchment paper. I have used wax paper in a jam and it worked ok) or foil; set aside. Cut each potato lengthwise into 8-10 pieces (depending on the size of your potato). In a large bowl stir together butter, garlic, parmesan cheese, italion seasoning, salt and peper. Add potato wedges and stir to thoroughly coat. Place the wedges on the prepared baking sheet.

2. Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until tender. I tend to cook mine a little bit longer because I like mine to have crispy edges. These are SOOO yummy! We like to use ranch for dipping sauce. :)

I have some italian dressing nearing expiration (some WishBone dressing I got for free a while back), so was searching online for some recipes to try to use some up. I figured, where better to go than to their own website? So I did, and I can't wait to try these recipes I found there!


:Wish-Bone Chicken Fajitas:


Serves: 4
Preparation Time: 5 Minute(s)
Marinate Time: 30 Minute(s)
Cook Time: 12 Minute(s)

Ingredients
3/4 cup Wish-Bone® Italian Dressing
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1-1/2 tsp. ground cumin (optional)
3/4 tsp. grated lime peel (optional)
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8 (6-in.) fajita size flour tortillas, warmed


1.For marinade, combine Wish-Bone® Italian Dressing, lime juice, cumin and lime peel. Pour 1/2 cup marinade over chicken in large, shallow nonaluminum baking dish or plastic bag. Cover, or close bag, and marinate in refrigerator, turning occasionally, up to 3 hours. Refrigerate remaining marinade.

2.Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade. Grill or broil chicken, turning once and brushing frequently with refrigerated marinade, 12 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. To serve, thinly slice chicken. Serve in tortillas and, if desired, with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced green onions and sour cream.

I plan on serving the fajitas with refried beans and Lipton/Knorr Spanish rice. Talk about easy and cheap!


:Italian Potato Salad:


Serves: 6
Preparation Time: 15 Minute(s)
Cook Time: 10 Minute(s)

Ingredients
2 lbs. potatoes, peeled, if desired, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2/3 cup Wish-Bone® Italian Dressing
2 Tbsp. Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped (about 2/3 cup)
2 Tbsp. chopped pitted ripe olives (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (optional)


1.Cover potatoes with water in 3-quart saucepan; add salt, if desired. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered 8 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

2.Combine Wish-Bone® Italian Dressing, Mayonnaise and parsley in large bowl; stir in red bell pepper. Add potatoes; toss gently. Season, if desired, with ground black pepper. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

I am not quite sure what you would serve this with? Maybe some turkey & cheese paninis? Sounds good to me! The website says that the average cost to prepare this recipe is $3.75. I doubt they were considering that we get their salad dressing for FREE, plus with getting potatoes for $.75 (for 5lbs) last week and $.30 Best Foods mayo a few months back...this probably will cost me about $1.40 (and most of that is just for the bell pepper that I will probably have to pay $1 for!)


:Country Style Pork Ribs:


This is a slow-cooker recipe I can't wait to try! I love dragging my crock-pot out at this time of year and filling the house with yummy smells!

Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 10-12 hours (low) or 5-6 hours (high) + 10 minutes
Makes 4-6 main-dish servings

Ingredients:
1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
2 1/2 to 3 lbs country style pork ribs
1 1/2 cups vegetable juice cocktail
1/2 of a 6oz can (1/3 cup) tomato paste
1/4 cup molasses
3 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp dried thyme, crushed
1/8 tsp dried rosemary, crushed

1. Place onion in a 3 1/2- to 6-qt slow cooker. Place ribs on top of onion in cooker. In a medium bowl stir together remaining ingredients. Reserve 1 cup juice mixture for sauce; cover and chill. Pour remaining juice mixture over ribs in the cooker.

2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10-12 hours or high-heat setting for 5-6 hours.

3. For sauce, heat reserved juice mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Transfer ribs to serving platter; discard cooking liquid. Serve sauce with ribs.

YUM. The only thing I need for this is molasses and vegetable juice cocktail. I will serve this with some garlic mashed potatoes, cooked carrots, and some Pillsbury crescent rolls.

Red Baron Pizza, salad
Tuna Helper, peas, biscuits

:DESSERTS:

Sara Lee Pie and Breyer's ice cream, of course! :)
Cake and ice cream (there always seems to be so much left over, I'm sure we'll be picking at it for a couple of days!)
Oreos w/ milk
Popcorn

2 comments:

  1. awesome!! so tell me, which of these recipes did you personally try.. im printing them out for my chef!!.. i can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! You'll have to let me know what you think of them! I have made the parmesan wedges a LOT, as they are so easy and we LOVE them. The others are all new recipes I found in order to make use of the items I already had in my stockpile. I can't wait to try them! Mmm....

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! :)