Thursday, December 31, 2009

Weekly Menu Plan


WAY behind on this, as usual! And let me tell you...once you've started using a menu plan, and you skip doing it for a while, you will realize how truly important it is! Without a menu plan, my family ate out WAY more than we usually do the last couple of weeks. I know part of that was because of the holidays and all, but a LOT of it had to do with simply not having a PLAN. Without my menu plan and having an idea of what my family would have on a particular week, it was FAR too easy to simply grab burgers at McDonald's or get a Little Ceasar's pizza or whatever. You get the idea. :( So...I REALLY have to stick to this and DO IT every week. It truly does save you so much more money!

*For more on how and why I plan my weekly meals (which saves my family even more money each week), click HERE to read a previous post.

Before I give you my menu plan, I just have to say that the ribs and fajitas recipes I posted about last time (HERE) were FANTASTIC! I cannot WAIT to make them again. They were both SOOOO easy and SOOOO yummy, not to mention CHEAP! So, you really must try them. Seriously.

This week I will be using mostly stock items. I have some meat that I need to start using up a bit, such as some chicken drumsticks and thighs. I also have some petite sirloin steaks...mmm....

:BREAKFASTS:

Cereal w/ milk
Dino-egg oatmeal, toast, Cuties, milk
Toaster Strudel, banana, milk
Egg & cheese tortillas, OJ
Bagel w/ cream cheese and jelly, yogurt, apple juice
French toast, bacon, eggs, OJ
Cottage cheese & fruit, toast, V8 Splash

:LUNCHES:

Soup & sandwiches
Freschetta pizza, salad
PB&J, carrot sticks w/ ranch, Chex mix
Mac-n-cheese, applesauce, mixed veggies
Leftover lasagna (from dinner the previous night)
Pigs in a blanket, fruit cocktail, tater tots
Chef Boyardee cups, cottage cheese

:SNACKS:

Orange slices & graham crackers
Apples w/ peanut butter
Fruit snacks
Cheese stick and Goldfish crackers
Danimals Crushcup
Chex Mix
Granola bar


:DINNERS::

:Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches:


Ingredients:

2 Petite Sirloin steaks (calls for rib-eye steak, but this is what I have on hand. Tastes just as good to me!)
1 medium onion, cut in half then sliced (separated into half rings)
salt
pepper
4 tbsp oil
8 slices provolone cheese (or whatever cheese you like, such as American or even Cheez-whiz)
4 bread rolls

Preparation:

In order to get my steak super thin, I cut them in half lengthwise and simply pound them out with a meat mallet. I pound them until pretty thin, and cut them in half again if they are too big. Set aside.

Heat half of oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Sauté onions until soft and golden brown. Use tongs to take them out of pan onto a tray/plate. Heat the other half of the oil in the pan. Add steaks and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 minute. Turn over and cook for another minute. It won't take long for it to brown since the pieces are so thin, so watch it. You want it to brown on both sides and be just barely starting to crisp. When done, remove from pan to tray/plate with onions.

Cut rolls in half (I like to slightly toast them by placing the open sides of the roll on the pan for a few seconds, but you don't have to). Add meat. Add cheese slices. Add onions. Add any dressings you choose. (I usually just brush a THIN layer of mayo on each side of the roll.) ENJOY! They are really quick and super easy. Oh yeah, they're yummy too! I will serve these with the parmesan potato wedges I told you about HERE.

:Sticky Crockpot Chicken Drumsticks:


Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 hours
Ingredients:

* 2 tsp. salt
* 1 Tbsp. paprika
* 2 tsp. chili powder
* 1 tsp. onion powder
* 1 tsp. thyme leaves
* 1 tsp. white pepper
* 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
* 1/2 tsp. black pepper
* 4 lbs. chicken drumsticks, skinned if desired
* 1 chopped onion

Preparation:
In a small bowl, thoroughly combine salt and all the spices. Rinse drumsticks and pat dry with paper towel. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, skin side and bone side, making sure it is evenly distributed and pressed down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal, place in a baking pan to catch any drips, and refrigerate overnight.

Place the onions in the bottom of a 4 quart crockpot and top with the chicken and spices. Cook on LOW for 8-12 hours until very tender. Serves 8-10. I will serve this with rice and au-gratin potatoes. These are SOOOO good. :) 

Stouffer's lasagna with salad and Rhodes warm-n-serve rolls
New Year's Eve snacks
Little Smokies cooked in the crockpot w/ bbq sauce, crescent rolls
Spaghetti, salad, corn, cottage cheese.
Zuppa Toscana (this is a recipe I got from Sarah at AThriftyMom a while ago. I made this for my family a couple of months ago and it was a BIG hit! It tastes JUST LIKE the soup you get at the Olive Garden! It is so yummy, I can't even describe in words. Lol. You MUST try it. Recipe HERE.) Served with bread. I like to make cheese toast by slicing a french bread loaf and buttering one side. Lay the slices, butter side up, on a cookie sheet as many as will fit. Put a generous amount of shredded cheese (I usually use a combination of swiss and parmesan), and sprinkle with oregano. Easy and yummy.

:DESSERTS:

Sara Lee Pie and Breyer's ice cream, of course! :)
Oreos w/ milk
Popcorn
Rootbeer floats


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! :)